Monday, December 30, 2013

what a journey it has been


Like the blank Starbuck Planner for 2013, I was wishing and hoping for more adventures. I planned trips that will definitely tickle my senses-visual, auditory and taste! I’ve written plans, browsed articles while waiting for that next big Piso Fare!

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."'


7-11 Run 800 Starting Line




January 2013 kicked in…and like a box of chocolates, I didn’t know what I was getting

Since I was diagnosed with hepatomegaly, I started running 30 minutes every early in the morning around the block. It was refreshing and it made me feel good that I extended the 30 minutes to an hour.

Then January 20 happened. Around 5AM I crossed the Starting Line that changed the way I look at running…at my health…at my life…


The 7-11 Run 800 - in celebration of the store's 800th outlet across the country. Run for a cause, as they say, the City with the most number of participants will receive medical assistance/aid.
We decided to take a plunge by participating in the 5Km category only because we liked the blue singlet. We would have loved the black one, but it was one hell of a distance (21K) to run for someone without any experience.

After the race...we went straight to Tondo for a feast of Sto. Nino!

Bawi-bawi lang din and na-burn na calories...




After the 7-11 Run 800, I saw myself running more races. I stopped traveling places far from the city…

but I certainly travelled kilometers on foot...


PhilHealth gave me the reason to explore Manila when it offered a run in celebration of it’s 18th anniversary.

After so many years, I got to hop in a Light Railway Transit again. The train's first trip from the South was 5AM. Dropping off at UN Station, I crossed Taft Avenue. And to get to Quirino Grandstand (starting line), I passed by Luneta. I got to see the Rizal Monument again…the last was during my elementary school field trip.




March came and I made a BIG leap. From 5Km, I ran 21 kilometers and crossed the finish line with the time of 02:42:00.
It was a fulfilling experience. It taught me the lesson of believing in one's ability. I found my strength...I saw determination  drive my pair of inexperienced legs to the finish line...

21 Kilometers was long...

It was tiring...

The experience was worth every muscle pain after...


A week after, I couldn't get enough of the hype brought about by running. March 24, I ran for all my friends and loved ones working overseas. I celebrated their heroism by running my first 10 kilometer race along Roxas Boulevard.





















It was not all running...After my 10K run, I had to walk...

It was a different kind...a journey through the aisle of St. Joseph Cathedral...
No...I didn't tie the knot...I was the best man, though. It was my brother's wedding...First time kong maging part ng entourage. I've always been a spectator...

April 28 - National Geographic Channel Earth Day Run...I ran another 21K. I had my very first sports related injury - a bleeding knee...It hit a concrete barrier in an ill-lit part of Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue. I did not see the uneven pavement that got me out of balance and hit the barrier...

Funny thing was, adrenaline was rushing along with endorphin...I did not feel anything but a slight sting. A concerned runner asked how I was and I just said I feel good and kept running.

 

June 02 was Run United's second leg of the trilogy. Another 21K for me. I was putting together a 3-piece medal and I snagged the second one...

Before the first half of the year closed, I left again...My daily commute to Ortigas stopped in June 30. I left the company I have been working for for eight long years. It was a long decision to make. Took me about 3 years to finally draft and sign that resignation letter...

July 01, I met my new family at work. hahaha Walang pahinga...trabaho agad.

I accepted the offer of a US-based payroll and benefits administration provider whose office is a stone throw away (well, not really...but I walk to get home) from my place.




October came really fast. October 06 was a happy day! I get to run with an old time friend, Lea. She's a police office based in Pampanga. I've had tons of crams and muscle pain throughout the course of the Run United Philippine Marathon. It was one of the 'longest' race I've ever been. "longest" in the sense that it took me a while to get to the finish line...OVER 3 HOURS!








It was fun running with a friend. For the longest time I was running by myself. Well, Me and my phone...
Nice to see some familiar personalities too. I get to see Alvin Patrimonio and Benjie Paras.




November gave me the biggest challenge in my running history. It was a rainy day after the biggest storm in history ravaged Central Philippines. It was wet...it was raining for the New Balance Power Run 2013.

The NB Power Run really tested my endurance. I ran 25 Kilometers around almost all corners of the Bonifacio Global City. The race route included the hike of the Kalayaan Flyover all the way to LRT Gil Puyat station (well almost).

My shoes were wet and towards the 4 Km or so, the sun was shining "bright like a diamond". It was hard to see as the wet pavement reflected the sun. I finished the race in over 3 hours. It was appropriate to state that I "crawled" to the finish line...or, given that I have been in the round sise as my good friends would have called it "rolling (gumulong) to the finish line".


And because I was all spent after battling with the 25 Km road/track, I thought I deserved a hearty meal.

Banapple Pies and Cheesecakes - Carbo and protein loading.

Friends have been talking about it and I am yet to discover the place. I got a protein packed pasta of 3 types of meat and a huge banapple smoothie. The serving was just too much even for the hungry hippo! I had to take home half of the meal!


Before November finally closes, I received my final docs from the old employer. It was an opportunity to see my teammates and friends.

And speaking of old and friends, November 30 was the day for the Annual Poor Club Meet up. We had breakfast at IHOP, BGC. The pancakes were good. I had the Cinn-a-stack. Two stacks of fluffy and creamy pancakes, each topped with cinnamon spread... I also had their big steak omelet.

Then it's Christmas...

I didn't get to see my family for the holidays because I have work on Christmas eve. But I get to spend it with my other family, my HR/B family. We had dinner together and had fun at work... 



There 's a whole lot of things that has happened as I look back...2013 must have been one of my most colorful year in my 3 decades of existence. It was a long journey. I did not get to fly this year...I have not seen new places from magazines...2013 gave me the opportunity to reach out to my inner self. The journey was within. I discovered a whole lot about my self...
I tasted new flavors through the personalities I met while running, in my new job, in my new  work place...

2014, I am excited to meet you...I don't know what kind of flavor or color you'd bring, but I am looking forward to more surprises...
More travel...
More Run...
More Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment